Salesforce is known for its common networking, hardware and software platform which helps reduce the cost for its customers. It is the innovator of the SaaS approach and with its various SaaS offerings such as Salesforce Chatter, Sales Cloud and Service Cloud Applications Salesforce customers are ensured to be benefited with improved sales and enhanced communications.
The benefits from the users perspective is that the applications can be customized with the developer tools like AppExchange and Database.com quicker. With its various offerings and wide range of products, Salesforce continues to invent the future and tops its CRM software applications competitors.
Salesforce provides Platform as a Service (Paas) named Force.com. Using Force.com platform we can build our own solution to meet the business requirements. Force.com is a platform for creating applications in the cloud with absolutely no software or hardware investment required.
We can create apps and websites through the cloud IDE (integrated development environment) and deploy them quickly to Force.Com multi-tenant servers.
- Salesforce follows the MVC (Model, View, and Controller) architecture.
- Using the Force.com Platform we can build our solution in Salesforce. Force.com platform provides the below components for a customization.
- Apex – Apex is an object oriented programming language. Used to build our business rules/logics.
- VisualForce – It is a markup language, used to develop a user interface that can be accessed public users by hosting the page in the Force.com sites. It contains some set of Form controls that can be used to create Forms/Page.
- SOQL, SOSL – Both are the query language which is used to do a CRUD operation with Salesforce Objects.
- SOQL - SOQL indicates Standard Object Query Language and it is a SQL query language to fetch data from the Salesforce Custom/Standard Objects
- SOSL – SOSL indicates Salesforce Object Search Language. SOSL is a search language in salesforce and the important feature is that Unlike SOQL, we can search in multiple objects at same time using SOSL.
Frameworks in Salesforce
- Salesforce provides a framework named Lightning Component Framework.
- Lightning Component framework is a UI framework for developing dynamic web apps for mobile and desktop devices.
- The Lightning Component framework is built on the open source Aura framework. The Aura framework enables you to build apps completely independent of your data in Salesforce.
Salesforce provides several API’s to connect Salesforce with 3rd party systems. REST and SOAP are the most useful API’s in Salesforce to connect with the external system in a secure way. Using the External data source component we can access data in other Salesforce orgs as well as third-party databases and content systems.
AppExchange is the business app store from Salesforce through which end users can access, download and install software apps. AppExchange offers a mix of free and paid apps organized into collections, categories, and industry solutions.
- Sales Cloud mainly works based on Lead, Account, Contact & Opportunity objects.
- Leads can be further converted into account, contact and opportunity objects, an important built-in functionality of the Sales Cloud.
- The base objects are cases and solutions.
- A Service Executive can create a case on a customer enquiry or a complaint, and the corresponding solution can be stored in a solution object.
- There is some standard functionality, like email to case, which will automatically create a new case in the CRM on every customer email.
- Marketing Cloud is an application for marketing purposes. It helps in the creation and execution of marketing campaigns, email promotions, and more.
- It is a social platform from Salesforce.com that is designed to connect and facilitate communication among an organization's employees, partners and customers.
- It provides Chatter tool for chat and file sharing purpose among the users.
- In Salesforce, the ‘Reports and Dashboards’ feature enables effective analytics.
- Salesforce provided a new BI platform named 'Wave Analytics'. It is used to display the data in various data visualization formats like Graphs, Pie Charts, etc.
Platform & Apps
- It is a collection of development tools that allow developers to quickly create applications that will run on the Salesforce platform.
- The tool includes the following.
- App Exchange - Place to host the newly developed Apps to the market.
- Force.com - Platform to develop the cloud-based applications.
- The tool includes the following.
- Lightning - Framework provided by Salesforce to develop apps without a single of code
- Its provide solutions to a Machine to Machine or User to Machine communication/data transfer via internet.
- Its provide solutions to the E-commerce, promoting the products digitally in an effective manner.
Salesforce Products Features
Each workflow rule consists of: Criteria that cause the workflow rule to run, Immediate actions that execute when a record matches the criteria. For example, salesforce.com can automatically send an email that notifies the account team when a new high-value opportunity is created.
Custom Objects/Fields creation
Apart from the Standard objects Salesforce allows us to create Custom objects and also the Custom fields. Based on the needs of the business we can create the Custom objects and the Custom fields. Custom fields can be created using the predefined data types which is available in the Salesforce.
User account can be created to provide access to the various Apps and Menus in the Salesforce. We can define and create Roles and Profiles and assign the users to the specific Roles and Profiles. Using the Roles and Profiles to control what the user can do and see in Salesforce.
Data Security Model
The data in Salesforce are managed in a secured way by utilizing the various components/features available in salesforce like profiles, roles, permission sets, sharing settings, field level security, etc.
Validation rules determine whether the data entered into Salesforce is valid or not for a specific record.
Import & Export Data
Import and export the data from the salesforce can be performed by using the Salesforce Data loader tool which was provided by the salesforce. Using this tool we can perform bulk CRUD operations.
Reports & Dashboards
Creating a report is very easy in Salesforce. Using the Drag and drop option we can create a reports using the various templates which was provided by the Salesforce. Below are the different type of reports are available.
- Matrix report
- Summary report
- Tabular report
- Joint report
Dashboard is used to display the data in the pictorial representation. Using the dashboard builder the user can easily create the charts, pie charts.